What's the oldest M16 you've shot?
What's the oldest M16 you've shot?  I joined the Chairforce in 92'. When I went to a Civil Engineering Squadron in 95', I was in disaster preparedness (NBC trainer). We also kept CE's arms. We had Vietnam era green furniture M16a1s.  I don't know which was older, the green M16s or the black M16s at Malmstrom AFB. I will say neither rifle gave me a problem. I liked them.

Then we got the A3s from FN. On the Colts I could take a bolt carrier and shake it and the bolt would move back and forth. Nope not with the new FNs. The FNs felt like a fucking brick. No one liked them as they'd jam like a mother fucker. Yeah the sights were better and that was it. And they said hotter ammo, hotter ammo!  Yeah what ever.
BMT in '02.  All we shot were A2s in BMT and CATM quals my first couple years in.  Every one I touched was a FN.  

Our GAUs and M 4s were all Colts.  I'm sure one of the GAU lowers were old as shit, but the uppers and some of the lower parts were fairly new for mid-2000s standards.  SOPMOD upgrades.

ETA: Stupid auto corrects so I can't even type M 4 without some kind of weird spacing bullshit on a gun-themed web forum
(06-20-2017, 02:12 PM)NBK Wrote: I had an ak that had a trunnion from 67'.

That ain't shit though.
I have a lever action from the late 1800s, and I've put a few hundred rounds through it.  That thing packs a wallop..  It's in better shape than some of my friends rifles too honestly, bore looks good, basically no rust as well.

A good rust blue, some basic maintenance throughout its life, regular lube, and protection from moisture and the things should run multiple lifetimes. They built some quality stuff around the turn of the century considering the lack of modern machining.
(06-21-2017, 02:55 AM)NBK Wrote:
(06-21-2017, 01:11 AM)Nick Gerz Wrote:
(06-20-2017, 02:12 PM)NBK Wrote: I had an ak that had a trunnion from 67'.

That ain't shit though.
I have a lever action from the late 1800s, and I've put a few hundred rounds through it.  That thing packs a wallop..  It's in better shape than some of my friends rifles too honestly, bore looks good, basically no rust as well.

A good rust blue, some basic maintenance throughout its life, regular lube, and protection from moisture and the things should run multiple lifetimes.  They built some quality stuff around the turn of the century considering the lack of modern machining.

I think the quality control back then was much higher for the most part since pretty much everything was handmade.

True craftsmen vs button pushers. I love my technology just as much as the next guy, but I wish there was still a niche option on the market to purchase heirloom quality versions of some of the stuff I buy.

Take for example the Remington 870. Why can't we still buy higher end Wingmasters in different configurations with real bluing, tool steel metal components instead of plastic, fitted and polished parts, and no slop and rattle while at the same time mass producing shittier Express models with cut corners, MIM or plastic parts, painted finishes, and only the most basic of assembly? Why is the shittier mass produced model practically the only one available? If I want to buy my kids 870s, why do I have to buy the shitty version and then spend money fixing all the faults out of the box? Why can't I just buy the quality that was available when they started out making the 870? The NEF Pardner Pump is a better 870 than most of the real Remington 870 Express' today, and that's garbage. The knockoff shouldn't exceed the quality of the original.

I buy firearms, knives, tools, gear, etc to last. I try to spend extra to get exactly what I want the first time (buy once, cry once). I plan to pass them down to my kids. I appreciate quality. I can't afford a lot of what I want at the moment, but I try to hold out and buy the best I can when I make the purchase.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you ever shot a pine tree ? Pine tree 0 251 06-03-2017, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Pine tree
  Shot Show 2017, Show Me Your Favorite. M4ar15.com 2 723 01-20-2017, 02:22 AM
Last Post: M4ar15.com
  Another blower shot Pain 1 504 01-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Pain
  So the cops shot another black dude in Minnesota... Devils Advocate 7 1,595 07-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Fisher cat
  Black outrage over gorilla shot to protect white privilege. Mak90nCheese 14 3,735 05-31-2016, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Soldat47
  22lr 31 gr shot shells Mak90nCheese 8 1,469 05-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Last Post: newyorkchilidog
  Might have shot the neighbors dog....lol! Fisher cat 13 2,648 04-16-2016, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Fisher cat
  How much would you support The Donald if he shot someone? Devils Advocate 5 1,489 01-25-2016, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Potato
  Lawyer shot in the street in turkey. Bad guys run through gun fire Lane pipe 3 1,037 11-30-2015, 01:13 AM
Last Post: SNAFU
  Russian War Plane Shot Down. SNAFU 16 6,437 11-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Last Post: DanTSX