Need Advice Before Heading to the Range Tomorrow
I will be trying to zero in my AR for the second time. First time was a great fail. I burned about 90 rounds and had no contact/no idea of impact. This was at only 50 yards! Sad I was shooting from a rest, open sights. Here is me set up:
[Image: http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358...G_9160.jpg]
Troy Fixed Battle Sight rear and F marked gi front. This was the first time I have shot an AR, so peep sights are a new thing. I kept my face close to the rear sight and tried to keep a proper sight picture (according to some pics I see).

Tomorrow, I will try something different. First, I am not bringing the kids. Second, I am going to use the m16 and m4ar15.com 25 meter zeroing targets from bobdbob. The military uses this method to zero, so I will try this I think.

I am using LC M855 ammo, so not expecting a tack driver, but at least 2" at 100 when I print at 25.

What am I missing?

What are some of the things you guys did that helped you zero open sights? Especially on one you built.

Any advice will be appreciated!
bigger target. seriously get a piece of construction paper (a big one like kids use for science fairs), put your target in the middle of that and begin you zero. it only takes a couple inches off paper to fuck up your mind. you have to know where your round is hitting to know where you need to adjust from.
(11-04-2015, 08:42 AM)tier1bro Wrote: bigger target. seriously get a piece of construction paper (a big one like kids use for science fairs), put your target in the middle of that and begin you zero. it only takes a couple inches off paper to fuck up your mind. you have to know where your round is hitting to know where you need to adjust from.

Excellent! My wife has a bunch of that.

You're right about the money mind fucking. I left the other week feeling like a total Flowers. Sad
(11-04-2015, 08:51 AM)AveryBullock Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 08:42 AM)tier1bro Wrote: bigger target. seriously get a piece of construction paper (a big one like kids use for science fairs), put your target in the middle of that and begin you zero. it only takes a couple inches off paper to fuck up your mind. you have to know where your round is hitting to know where you need to adjust from.

Excellent!  My wife has a bunch of that.

You're right about the money mind fucking.  I left the other week feeling like a total Flowers. Sad

it happens.
Take your gun, shoot yourself in the foot, and go home.

Pill popping morons all around the country are using this rifle to great effect.

But seriously, it's probably got something to do with you normally using a short sight radius AK.

Tier 1 is right, start with a huge target and work your way in.

Zeroing scopes is the same way

Get it dead on at about 30 yards and learn to guesstimate elevation.
Thanks SNAFU. You always bring the negative reinforcement that I need to achieve. Cool

MOE, makes since what you said about bringing the target back. At 50, the bullets seemed to always be high. Even when adjusting the front sight post, it still seemed high just looking where the dirt was flying. Just a totally different animal than AK.

Can anyone explain why trigger axis pin falls out during fire? Is this due to poor manufacturing of the lower?
(11-04-2015, 10:23 AM)No Shit Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 10:19 AM)AveryBullock Wrote: Thanks SNAFU.  You always bring the negative reinforcement that I need to achieve. Cool

MOE, makes since what you said about bringing the target back.  At 50, the bullets seemed to always be high.  Even when adjusting the front sight post, it still seemed high just looking where the dirt was flying.  Just a totally different animal than AK.

Can anyone explain why trigger axis pin falls out during fire?  Is this due to poor manufacturing of the lower?

either a spring is missing or the pins were in backwards or swapped

looks at a YouTube video on how to install the trigger group.  check out a how to build an AR lower video.

Thanks, man. I'm going to look into that and fix ASAP. When it dropped out it caused a two shot burst...definitely a saftey concern.
An AR firing twice without a failure is an improvement.
Snafu has zero ar experience
He only knows commie weapons
And one shot looks like two shots cuz lazy eye
#whiteprivilegematters

sic semper tyrannis
Awesome. Big Grin

Drinking my coffee, smoke a fag and do my 3 S's, then I'm off to da range. Will provide pics.
Provide video.
(11-04-2015, 12:59 PM)Lane pipe Wrote: cuz lazy eye

NAILED IT!!!, +1, tpni (13th post nailed it), bingo, bazinga, ect. Big Grin
(11-04-2015, 09:16 PM)AveryBullock Wrote: smoke a fag

you now have my undivided attention. god i hope he misspelled "suck", and "fag" isn't some queer ass way of saying cigarette.
Ball and dummy drill
Dryfire
I zeroed at 25 yards. With a rest and just turned the sight adjustments as stated on the target. Both rifles were done this way and I don't think I used 10 rounds each time.
DT says you can't shoot your way out of a brown paper bag. What do I know?

I'm SNFU's gay lover and I'm only here because I heard you fags blow a horn.
(12-13-2015, 02:47 PM)Mrabolli Wrote: DT says you can't shoot your way out of a brown paper bag. What do I know?

LOL! Man, I love you! As for DT, I always trust a senior citizen that dresses out in cosplay. Don't you agree?

[Image: http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358...7178_n.jpg]
(12-13-2015, 08:20 PM)SNAFU Wrote: Avery he's lying, I swear, when I fucked him I had my socks on.

You ever get this shit figured out OP?

Yeah, bro. I used the smaller aperture... Really tightened my groups up. Some of that live and learn stuff.
(12-13-2015, 09:19 PM)SNAFU Wrote: I really like aperture sights.

It forces you to aim at poi.

Probably going to get a HK rear for my AK.

I'm learning to use them, and they're alot easier for getting back on target and seem more "natural". I'm loving them.
Take the upper off and remove the bolt carrier. Look down the barrel and line it up on a vertical line. Then you can check the windage and elevation.
Dodgy
(12-16-2015, 09:35 AM)No Shit Wrote:
(12-13-2015, 02:47 PM)Mrabolli Wrote: DT says you can't shoot your way out of a brown paper bag. What do I know?

Yes we blow horns. in fact I replaced my remote control for my train horn in my Ford Ranger.  I'm happy once again now that I can toot my own horn from a distance.

what a poser, needs moar horn.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Range report! ArRunner5.56 11 2,179 02-22-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: ArRunner5.56