are piston conversions really more reliable?
I'm gonna start building me an m4gery and Im considering a piston system.
So, is it worth it? What's a good one? Like to stay under $300. Any one with high round count experience with one?
Bad experiences? Any info helps, thanks...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all"-Mattis
(04-17-2015, 08:24 AM)FBHO Wrote: No, they are not any more reliable. They are also not any "better" or "worse" in any meaningful or measurable way. I have a LWRC M6, POF 415, and two rifles with the Adams arms kit.

That's good info thanks. I've never had a problem cleaning the carbon off the carrier and bolt but I've heard it was good koolaid so I thought I'd look into it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all"-Mattis
I kicked around getting a Huldra piston rifle a couple months ago and the general concensus on the Files was that the piston setups are no better.

The downside to them also is you lose parts interchangeably in a SHTF scenario.
(04-17-2015, 09:56 PM)SNAFU Wrote: I kicked around getting a Huldra piston rifle a couple months ago and the general concensus on the Files was that the piston setups are no better.

The downside to them also is you lose parts interchangeably in a SHTF scenario.

Yea I'm willing to sacrifice parts interchangeability but it has to offer somthing in return. So if its same same ill just stick with a 10$ gas tube...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
It depends on the system you use. All the good ones I know of cost more that $300 though and they typically want you to buy a whole upper.

What's up Boonie? ;-)
^^^ I may know who you are....
(04-17-2015, 08:24 AM)FBHO Wrote: No, they are not any more reliable. They are also not any "better" or "worse" in any meaningful or measurable way. I have a LWRC M6, POF 415, and two rifles with the Adams arms kit.

I can agree with this. I think the quality of the parts you use overall is more important, at least as far as a semi-auto goes. If you are building a range blaster on a registered receiver et al. I would go with premium components, but it's totally unnecessary. In spec parts are generally good to go.
Producer of the acclaimed series "Oh Lane! Where art thou?"
(04-18-2015, 08:06 AM)SNAFU Wrote: ^^^ I may know who you are....

SPILL IT!!!
Producer of the acclaimed series "Oh Lane! Where art thou?"
yes spill it
#whiteprivilegematters

sic semper tyrannis
He's just an alright guy from The Files.
No

They are gay

How is heat buildup and bolt tilt ever better?
its not
#whiteprivilegematters

sic semper tyrannis
The whole purpose of the AR15 is a light accurate rifle with high firepower.

Piston systems will make them heavy to carry.Reliability will be the same. Some parts will be more expensive.
 I found Playboys in moms basement!