77gn Nosler/ Tac Powder Range report
Photo 
Good evening ladies and gentle-mans.

I am new to the forum and was anxious on becoming a member.
I noticed that your choice of rules in regards to the freedom of speech is kept as unadulterated as the Constitution I took an Oath long ago to defend.

Id like to start off by sharing with the community a detailed range report that could help anyone in the reloading department.

For starters my weapon stats: (I want to be as detailed as possible because I know in ballistic science sometimes the littlest detail can mean alot)

Millet TRS 4-16X50 Illum
Faxon Firearms 18" Stainless Steel Fluted Heavy Barrel w/ 1/8 twist   (1/7.75 if you want to get real technical)
Standard and Well Broken-in Belgian made (FN) 5.56 Bolt w/ standard M16 carrier
YHM Muzzle Brake
Colt Flat-Top Upper w/ GOV Keyhole marking
CMC 3.5lb Single-Stage Flat Trigger.

When it comes to load development I like to find common loads on the net that are similar to the twist rate and composition of barrel that I own.
I find it wasteful to start super low and work your way up 5 times when you can just do it 3 times and burn up less of those expensive ass projectiles.

I started my loads using only Lake City or IMI 5.56 spec BRASS ONLY (more uniform case fill than .223 brass)! If you dont know the difference, 5.56spec brass has a circled cross on the bottle cap. I then grouped them together by year.
Brass was cut to 1.755, de-burred, then applied bullet seating lube.
CCI. 5.56 # 41 Primers used
Nosler 77gn Custom Competition (they are match bullets but they are good varmint rounds)
TAC powder by RAMSHOT (this stuff meters perfectly every single time unlike other cylindrical powders )
my recommendation is to start at 23.25gn. All over the net everyone is saying 24gn is the best start but all barrels are chambered and cut differently just by a cunt hair so 1 gn might be better or worse in different guns. I said my barrels true measurement 1/7.75, even with the same manufacturer they can be a little different.  )

All bullets were seated to around the ball park of 2.245-2.250"OAL (different shoulders angles on brass causes discrepancies in seating die OAL)

When all was said and done I was astonished how well ramshot was grouping. I am lucky and can get steady supplies of V-n140 but I might switch to TAC because it was grouping the same(need to do studies on 68-69gns) and it seems to be a safer powder when comparing max loads, and it meters wonderful and more uniform.

with my barrel, 23.5gn seemed to be the magic number.

If you guys have any more questions leave a comment and I will reply asap when I get home from night class.

Attached Files Image(s)

LONG RANGE:
Nosler 77gn CC/TAC
Millet TRS 4-16X50
Faxon SS SPR Barrel 18"1/8

BUGOUT/ GAS MASK/ STANDARD LOAD OUT:
M193
Aimpoint PRO Carry-Handle Mounted
Colt SOCOM Countour 16" Barrel
A2 Upper Reciever
Colt M4A1 Carbine
CMC SinStg Trigger
(02-12-2016, 07:24 AM)Moe_Jontana Wrote: Welcome! Fantastic report. What range is that at if you don't mind me asking?

I have limited experience loading...just helped a buddy a few times with some 9mm.

Have any recommendations on 223/556 loading equipment?

psa has some reloading equipment on clearance under the "clearance tab" for anyone interested.

i have seriously been thinking about getting into it, i own and like to shoot some odd ball shit. the last .32 s&w wadcutters i bought for my walther gsp were about a buck a round <damn that stings> Big Grin
Just picked up a pound of CFE223 and 500 Berrys bullets 55gr fmj. I can reload for about .25 per round.
(02-12-2016, 07:24 AM)Moe_Jontana Wrote: Welcome! Fantastic report. What range is that at if you don't mind me asking?

I have limited experience loading...just helped a buddy a few times with some 9mm.

Have any recommendations on 223/556 loading equipment?

Its a 100 yard indoor range that is temp controlled at roughly 72-76 degrees with low humidity and No wind (obviously)

when it comes to loading equipment with 223/556 I always stick with 5.56 specific dies. They reduce the life of the brass because they resize the bottom base of the round as well creating more uniform resizing while a standard 223 die does not. .223 has pressure problems because of that bottom portion not expanding as uniform as it should and can cause a failure to extract.
Rcbs is good but if quality is in mind go with Reddings.
I have an RCBS summit that I love. had it for 3 years strong and has never failed me. I dont shoot 50bmg but it can resize and reload it alot easier than most conventional press's which is an added benefit if you have a friend who has a Barret and doesnt know what the hell to do with the brass.

Tier1bro I would highly recommend investing into reloading.
It might be a little pricey at first but depending on how much you shoot it will pay for itself.
I reloaded 1000 .45ACP rounds in 3 days and pretty much payed for it right there.

If you shoot 308, you can turn $1.50 per round Match Ammo into .80 cents if you know where to look and your gun can feed 7.62 brass unlike Remingtons.
LONG RANGE:
Nosler 77gn CC/TAC
Millet TRS 4-16X50
Faxon SS SPR Barrel 18"1/8

BUGOUT/ GAS MASK/ STANDARD LOAD OUT:
M193
Aimpoint PRO Carry-Handle Mounted
Colt SOCOM Countour 16" Barrel
A2 Upper Reciever
Colt M4A1 Carbine
CMC SinStg Trigger
Hi buddy, thanks!