Need any welding help? Ask me anything.
I have a bunch of expensive pieces of paper saying Im qualified to help.

Ask away! Smile
Bitch real Gs move in silence like lasagna
What's a good flux core wire?

The only stuff I have found that is worth a shit is Prax Air Prostar, the problem is that it's 90$ for a 10 pound roll.

I've been running Hobart lately and it's ok bit the welds still look kid of crappy.

With the pro star it looks almost as good as a gas weld.
(04-25-2015, 04:38 AM)SNAFU Wrote: What's a good flux core wire?

The only stuff I have found that is worth a shit is Prax Air Prostar, the problem is that it's 90$ for a 10 pound roll.

I've been running Hobart lately and it's ok bit the welds still look kid of crappy.

With the pro star it looks almost as good as a gas weld.

Well I think you already know your answer. Pro star is great stuff and makes a fantastic weld. You get what you pay for, as always. Harbor Freight shit would be the other end of the spectrum and to be avoided like anything else in that store, IMO.

Ill admit flux core and stick are a bit out of my lane, and TIG is my main gig with some GMAW, but Im not completely ignorant on the topic...

With flux core I need to know some more info.

What gauge/thickness metal are you mainly using? Mild steel all-around type work or something a bit more fancy, non-ferrous? And what wire diameter are you running? 0.030, 0.035, 0.040?
So awsome to have a certified welder here! I want to go back and get my certs but in the mean time I'm gonna build a multi process stick/mig/tig/ unit from microwave transformers so ill have many question for you in the months to come.
If you have some time to kill a thread about how to match machine settings to stick to metallurgy would be a great asset for beggeniners.
Thanks for your contribution!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all"-Mattis
Most of my certs are in TIG.

Aviation life critical, food grade, dairy grade, pharma grade, and a few others. Mostly non-ferrous metals 6G when applicable.

Ill be the first to admit though. If its stupid and it works, it aint stupid. ie; if you do something that isnt by the book, or how Id do it, BUT IT WORKS, it aint stupid.
My expensive pieces of paper mean fuck-all in the end.

Hope that makes sense, and Id be happy to help anyone out.
I use it to weld every thing from exhaust pipe to 1/4" mild steel.

I run 0.35.

I need to quit bitching and go buy the Pro Star......

How do you feel about welding on a shot gun barrel, it got a cut from a die grinder in it......long story.

I don't see the problem with filling it in myself.
As in just filling in the metal with a couple of cold tacks and grinding it back smooth?

Shotguns are pretty low pressure. If its not near the chamber and you dont do fucking overboard on the heat to cause burnthrough or warpage. should be good to go. As in youre just replacing some metal and not welding, I assume. Im also assuming you didnt cut completely through [into] the barrel. If you cut a hole, Id say replace the barrel, or cut the barrel behind the mark. Im not a gunsmith and pics would help, but common sense applies.
At the deepest point the cut is .028 at the deepest point, it's about 6" from the chamber.

I have put a shit ton of rounds through it like this but the gouge has always bothered me.

I think you are right and doing some low heat tack welds would do it.

I just can't rationalize paying 150$ for a barrel on a shotgun I bough for 200$ almost ten years ago and have beat the ever loving shit out of it.

[Image: http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah24...gutugm.jpg]
You were drunk grinding wernt you.
I'd have to see that in person but that looks pretty deep...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all"-Mattis
I was drunk and cutting the vent rib off to out a ninja heat shield on......I thought it would look cool next to my operator sks with a folding stock and its epic 900 round stash wolf HP ammo......

Not a proud moment in my life......

I grew out of my tacticool Tom foolery quite quickly.
Yea I started my wecsog career bubaing an sks with too much tapco and a dremmel. When I finly got it were I wanted it it was bone stock except for the choat drill and tap side mounted scope rail...
We've all been there...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
The heat shield is going back on....
Jb weld that spot and cerakote the barrel