Home Built AK Barrel Press: OPINIONS.
So I got this idea to make a home built press kind of like the AK builder one......

You can see how it works in the pics, just need threaded rod.

those holes in the puller are damn near perfect sized to go over the front trunnion rivets after I cut them off, figure I could weld them to the mud flap hangers for a jig.

Would 7/16 threaded rod be strong enough?

I'm going to punch holes in the puller to run the rod through tomorrow.

[Image: http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah24...f506uh.jpg]

[Image: http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah24...lxgynu.jpg]
7/16" all-thread is pretty beefy and should do the trick.

Admittedly the last AK I built was a type-1 milled with the screw-in bbl. The couple AKMs I did that need a bbl pull/install I did with a cheap hydraulic press. But IMO, your idea seems sound on paper, to me.
Bitch real Gs move in silence like lasagna
Dude your way over thinking this. All you need is 1/4" all thread 2 corresponding nuts 4 steel washers and 4 brass washers. Use the bolt carrier minus the bolt for the back side, lube it with whatever (I use tranny fluid) and start tightening it up. If it starts to bind tap the side of the trunnion with a hammer handel or a rubber coated cresent wrench handel or somthing...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all"-Mattis
And the rig in the pics is way to big to be stable, your gonna bend your barrel or end up cock eyed with that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all"-Mattis
I just threw some random junk together I had at work, would a harmonic balancer puller be a better choice?
Nope just 1/4" all thread and some washers and lube is all you need. Its less than 10 $ all together. ..

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Sounds like a plan, I work on heavy equipment and class 8 semis so I tend to go over board....
(04-25-2015, 11:15 AM)SNAFU Wrote: Sounds like a plan, I work on heavy equipment and class 8 semis so I tend to go over board....
Yea you had the right idea just need to shrink it. I like the toth tool style barrel tool but its just to easy and cheap to do it with all thread. If you go slow and check the headspace every half turn you can really tune in a nice tight chamber and squeeze some extra accuracy out of it with this method.
How are you squishing your rivits? If you got a set of 24" bolt cutters I got some hommade jaws I could send you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Got, bolt cutters, drill press, shop press.

I was going to go in with my brother in law on the toth rivet jaws, he has a couple 74 kits he bought 2 years ago.

How did you make your own jaws?
(04-25-2015, 07:51 PM)SNAFU Wrote: Got, bolt cutters, drill press, shop press.

I was going to go in with my brother in law on the toth rivet jaws, he has a couple 74 kits he bought 2 years ago.

How did you make your own jaws?
I Just chopped up the jaws the bolt cutter came with wirh a dremmel. Have to go very slow so the heat treat doesn't doesn't get fucked...
But if your doing that many builds I'd recommend the toth jaws. You can't go wrong n with those!
Are you building off of 80% shells? Because I have the ak builder fcg jig if you want to boarrow it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
I might take you up on the offer for that jig.

I'm still trying to convince my brother in law to build them himself, he bought them for 200$ each about 2 years ago right after sandy hook and is to scared to build the himself.

The guy is a fucking machinist and wants to take them to a gunsmith!
I've got to get going on mine also, probably going to pick up a barreled Polish kit.
Dude don't be cheap buy the right tools. Get a 12 ton A-Frame press from HF. Buy the rest of the tools from AK-Builder and RForbus. Unless you're only building one kit, HA ! who builds just one, then I'd say find someone close with the tools.
(05-31-2016, 06:53 AM)StG58Freak Wrote: Dude don't be cheap buy the right tools. Get a 12 ton A-Frame press from HF. Buy the rest of the tools from AK-Builder and RForbus. Unless you're only building one kit, HA ! who builds just one, then I'd say find someone close with the tools.

have you seen his pants, and thumb nail? Dodgy
(05-31-2016, 08:31 AM)SNAFU Wrote: I'd love to get into building and have 24/7 access to a press.

What sucks is that kit prices are stupid expensive, what's Rome G kit at?550$

I've got 3 of those Polish receivers that need a full heat treat just sitting around.

i remember when you would trip over small trash cans full of trash can gun kits listed at like $50 bucks at every god damn gun show in the world. i just always figured fuck that, it already fell apart why would i want to put it back together. Dodgy
Yeah that thumbnail looked horrible maybe he better stay away from tools.
(05-31-2016, 09:21 AM)StG58Freak Wrote: Yeah that thumbnail looked horrible maybe he better stay away from tools.

safety third. <chiseled on snafu's head stone> Dodgy
(05-31-2016, 10:13 AM)SNAFU Wrote: My thumb is doing just fine. Dodgy
[Image: http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah24...5a9svn.jpg]

totally normal and fine. Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home built arc welder from recycled microwaves. boonie rat 6 2,825 07-31-2015, 10:19 AM
Last Post: tier1bro
  Home built picture thread boonie rat 1 1,427 04-12-2015, 03:04 AM
Last Post: sloppyjoe999
  Home built tools boonie rat 2 1,813 04-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Last Post: chickenfucker