Here's The Thing About AKs ...
Click “back” if can’t handle the truth.

“AKs are reliable as the sunset. I’ve seen one blow-torched, buried, driven over by a tank, defecated on by camel, used as a sand shovel, and buried in the ocean for 2 decades and it still went bang”

Whatever.

What makes the AK so reliable isn’t the cheap, stamped steel, riveted etc construction.

It’s the genius design of the round.

The case sides are tapered inward, which gives it a nice advantage on feeding and extracting. That’s the real “secret sauce” of the AKs reliability.

The rifle itself ain’t a precision piece, at least as originally conceived and mass produced, I don’t think many would argue that point. I just wanted to get the proper spotlight on AK reliability.

It ain’t the gun, it’s the round it fires.
I have a hungarian sa-85m. I would stake my life on this weapon. I use only eastern european mags. the korean ones are not so good. as for ammo you can't beat the price. I still have plenty or norinco ammo from the early 90's.
(01-31-2017, 02:14 PM)FBOT Wrote: I do agree with the tapered cartridge being a huge factor.

However I personally believe the long stroke has piston design has a lot to do with it as well.  The overall design is very simple.

I love fixed ejectors.

No  AK will ever be as accurate as an AR  though, and I've run some very dirty ARs.
I think the AK is a brilliant design also, simple, easy to manufacture. That's something you have to give the Ruskies ... they build small arms with efficient mass production in mind. We tend to make things more complex and have more steps and more QA along the way to make sure it's right. The Ruskies make stuff so you can spit 'em out in huge quantities on decades old machines.

Someday I guess I'll get an AK. I've thought about getting one in 5.56, but that negates the benefit of the tapered case walls of the traditional AK round.
(01-31-2017, 12:57 AM)Garandnimal Wrote: Click “back” if can’t handle the truth.

“AKs are reliable as the sunset. I’ve seen one blow-torched, buried, driven over by a tank, defecated on by camel, used as a sand shovel, and buried in the ocean for 2 decades and it still went bang”

Whatever.

What makes the AK so reliable isn’t the cheap, stamped steel,  riveted etc construction.

It’s the genius design of the round.

The case sides are tapered inward, which gives it a nice advantage on feeding and extracting. That’s the real “secret sauce” of the AKs reliability.

The rifle itself ain’t a precision piece, at least as originally conceived and mass produced, I don’t think many would argue that point. I just wanted to get the proper spotlight on AK reliability.

It ain’t the gun, it’s the round it fires.

NONSENSE ! The AK reliability is a myth to guys like me who have used them outside of a range. Maybe if you ever get out of your Mom's basement and wipe the cheeto dust off your lips and fingers you'll see. The AR with it's sealed system is far more reliable than the best made AK. This is coming from a guy who has owned AKs and ARs since the early 1980s and fired over a million rounds of 7,62x39mm and 5.56. I've had AKs malfunction on me far more than any of my ARs.